My goals as a teacher and guide;
I have been passionate about canoeing from the first time I set foot in one at age 12. My passion grew from a strong curiosity to see what lay beyond the next hill or around the next river bend. I have spent the last 32 years exploring what I found. Th.is journey of discovery has influenced every aspect of my life.
Through guiding and teaching, I aim to share this passion by passing on what I have learned about canoeing and our relationship to the land we travel in. My goal is to introduce people of all ages to canoeing in hopes they will begin their own personal journey of discovery of the natural world.
My credentials are as follows;
1. I am a High School teacher of biology, chemistry and Outdoor Education in Manitouwadge, Ontario
My professional teaching background makes me an excellent canoe instructor in terms of applying varied teaching strategies, coaching. quality assessment, and group safety and organization. My Outdoor education class allows me to practice all these skills in an outdoor setting. This means I spend much of the year teaching in situations where risk management, group dynamics. equipment care and selection, route planning, etc. are part of the daily duties.
2. I hold Paddle Canada and ORCKA instructor certificates in moving water. river running and canoe tripping. These certificates reflect a canoeing career that spans over 20 years and a dedicated effort to continue learning. In fact I continue to take courses from highly advanced paddlers in order to continue improving my skills and teaching. It also reflects a desire to teach people to paddle well so they can enjoy the sport as much as I do.
3. I am certified as a Wilderness First Responder.
4. I am certified as a Whitewater Rescue Technician level 1.
5. I teach approximately 30 – 40 students per season in basic canoeing. canoe tripping and whitewater. Outside of school, I teach courses for the Ministry of Natural Resources, Pukaskwa National Park. local schools and youth camps.